Friday, May 29, 2009

Kahlotus

Kahlotus is a very small town (pop. 214 at the 2000 Census) located in Franklin County, Washington. According to Wikepedia, Kahlotus is an Indian word for "hole in the ground." I, however, am doubtful. I think this is an example of someone getting into Wikepedia and changing things for a joke.

Kahlotus has seen more populous times--when I was in high school, more than 30 years ago, its population was 365. One for every day of the year, as my high school history teacher used to joke. When I was a sophomore, I was the equipment manager for the freshman basketball team. We traveled to Kahlotus for a game, and I swear all 365 people were in attendance, crammed into their tiny gym. Kahlotus won by four points. It was our only loss of the year. Our coach (the same one who made the lame joke about the population) got kicked out with four seconds left, protesting something I can't even remember.
Sometime in the late 70's the town spruced itself up by putting up frontier town-like facades on all the main street buildings. 30+ years later, the facades are still there but could use some more sprucing. Hopefully better times will return; it's really kind of a pleasant, if isolated, place for a little town.




























2 comments:

  1. That's something I've never seen, birthdays listed on a marquee with a big "PEPSI" above the names. It looks like it was a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very nice day, verging on the hot...got up to about 95 I think.

    ReplyDelete