Friday, January 23, 2009

Journey to Bickleton

Today, despite the generally uninspiring weather (overcast, cold, and damp) I decided to take my first journey to a small town for some photography. I chose the little town of Bickleton, WA (population about 100) because it's not too far away, I've never been there, and it has a neat name. It's also the self-described bluebird capital of the world. boasting thousands of bluebird houses. In addition, Bickleton boasts the state's oldest tavern, the Bluebird Inn, which opened (most likely under a different name) in 1882. The town website (http://www.bickleton.org/) also boasts of the Carousel Museum, open seasonally (alas, not in the middle of winter). The carousel may be ridden on June 12, 13, and 14 for 50 cents, so I will probably have to make another trip just for that. If possible I'll get pictures of the tavern, too.

I almost didn't go on the trip because of the weather, but I am glad I did. Bickleton is up in the hills aways (about 3000 feet) and as I got closer I was treated to a winter wonderland of frozen fog (rime) covering literally everything. It was quite beautiful.

Here's a few pictures:


Typical Bickleton Bluebird House


Either a very large bluebird house or an outhouse.


A farm on the road up to Bickleton.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely birdhouse covered with snow and ice. Lovely outhouse too! Your photos are well composed. I enjoy looking at the details that pop out of each photo. Can't wait to see the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Mark. Good shots.

    ReplyDelete